Public Participation at Library System Board Meetings and Petitions to the Board
At each regular and special open meeting, the members of the public and System employees may comment on or ask questions of the Board, subject to reasonable constraints. The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
- Address the Board only at the appropriate times as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
- Identify oneself by full name and address, and be brief. Ordinarily, such comments shall be limited to 5 minutes. In unusual circumstances, and when the person has given advance notice of the need to speak for a longer period of time, such person may be allowed to speak for more than 5 minutes.
- The Board President may shorten or lengthen a person's opportunity to speak. The President may also deny the opportunity to speak to a person who has previously addressed the Board on the same subject within the past 2 months.
- No more than 20 minutes shall be allowed to each subject under discussion, except with unanimous consent of the Board.
- The Board President shall have the authority to determine procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise defined in Board policy.
Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
Approved July 1, 2011