RAILS Cataloging Training
RAILS provides practical, hands-on training in cataloging and classification topics, as well as supplementary sessions on various cataloging-related topics. Whether you are new to the field or a seasoned professional, our courses provide practical, hands-on training that will help you stay up to date with the latest cataloging practices and standards and effectively manage your library's cataloging needs.
Courses are free to all staff from RAILS member libraries. Classes will be listed in the Library Directory & Learning Calendar (L2) events calendar as they are scheduled.
Training opportunities include:
- Quarterly basic training on cataloging and classification on one of the following topics
- Classification Basics
- Classification and Subject Analysis Basics
- MARC 21 Standard: an introduction
- Copy cataloging of monographs using RDA
- Understanding Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) and using WebDewey
- Cataloging video recordings using RDA
- Supplementary sessions from experts with practical tips and best practices on various cataloging related topics such as metadata management, authority control, special formats, and emerging trends in cataloging.
For a list of training currently scheduled, or to register for a workshop, visit the L2 calendar.
We understand that everyone learns differently, which is why we offer a mix of synchronous and asynchronous training options. Our webinars provide an interactive learning experience where you can ask questions, participate in discussions, and connect with other professionals. Our asynchronous courses via Moodle allow for flexibility within the scheduled time frame (generally six weeks).
RAILS is always looking to expand the cataloging training opportunities that we provide to our members. Is there a cataloging topic you are interested in that is not currently covered? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
RAILS Continuing Education Archives
For recordings of past webinars on topics related to cataloging, see the RAILS CE Archives.
Catalog Consortium Training
If your library is a member of a shared-catalog consortium, see the consortium's support website or check L2 for training specific to your catalog system.
Catalog Maintenance Center (CMC) Training
The CMC offers free (for staff of Illinois libraries) online training courses and webinars, including the "Online with the CMC" series of short presentations on different cataloging topics. See the L2 calendar for upcoming CMC training events.