The Indian Trails Public Library District (ITPLD) has an exciting opportunity for an individual with superb customer service skills including the ability to develop and maintain relationships, project management expertise, facilitation and teaching skills and the drive to lead the coordination of ESL services in our dynamic Adult Services Department. The position will be instrumental in providing education to guide English Language Learners toward gaining knowledge and skills to increase English proficiency in listening, speaking and understanding of American culture.
This job is full-time, 37.5 hours per week. Additionally, this position involves working with a collaborative team, staffing the service desk to assist our members and serves as a person-in-charge (PIC) as required.
The library has a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, mandatory IMRF pension plan participation, 457(k) retirement plan, as well as vacation, sick time, and floating holidays. The library also supports continued learning and professional growth. Hourly rate of $25.00 (equivalent of $48,750 annualized).
We serve 65,500 residents in the communities of Wheeling, Buffalo Grove and Prospect Heights. We are committed to our vision of embracing culture, connecting community and igniting curiosity.
Some of the job duties include:
- Provide evaluation, direction and development of ESL services, which includes a dedicated ESL space, asynchronous online learning, classroom instruction, tutoring services and both a student and tutor collection.
- Develop and deliver lesson plans utilizing a broad range of appropriate differentiated techniques and strategies addressing all aspects of communication that develop each student’s English proficiency in listening, speaking and understanding of American culture.
- Administer language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student’s skill level and progress in meeting learning targets and progress in language acquisition.
- Maintain the ESL Lab including within its materials, services and resources for students and tutors.
- Interview, train, schedule and coach volunteers who assist members in the ESL Lab, provide tutoring services or assist with teaching ESL classes.
- Serve at least a weekly shift on an adult public service desk assisting library members in finding and locating information as well as assisting with a variety of technology support including but not limited to assistance with computers, mobile devices, apps, internet, online library resources, printing, faxing and email.
- Maintain related service area library collections by selecting and weeding material as directed.
- Actively promote the library, its materials, and services through programs, events, displays, and handouts, staying current with all appropriate physical and digital literature.
- Assist with and may support specialized projects and tasks under an identified subject area and/or audience as needed.
- Generate and maintain reports and statistics.
- Serve as person-in-charge (PIC) as required.
This opportunity requires:
- Master’s in Library Science (MLS degree) or equivalent area of study for the position such as Master’s in Teaching or ESL Instruction and a minimum 1 year relevant experience required.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively, work independently, work with interruptions, and as a team.
- Strong technology skills with experience preferably in utilizing Microsoft and program registration and evaluation tools.
- Ability to speak in public and facilitate classes or programs.
- Ability to read computer screens; type accurately; and move about the service area easily; and push and pull carts.
- Fluency in a second language is desirable.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to work days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume via e-mail to HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the job title in the subject line. No phone calls please.